Monday, January 2, 2012

This is the beginning...

Welcome 2012! For the last 2 years I've been promising myself  and telling friends that I am going to start blogging about my pursuit to start a cake business. Well, here I am, on the 2nd day of January, 2012, entering my first blog post.

This blog is meant for me to record and share this journey I am embarking on this year. I have been baking cakes, in a meaningful way, for about 5 years now. I have always loved cooking, and baking was always secondary. But, the challenge of following a recipe exactly, which I do when baking, gives me a different kind of satisfaction than just cooking savory dishes. It is more challenging, and requires patience and allows me to become an artist, through decorating and creating combinations in flavors. Also, most people LOVE cake! And it makes me happy to see the smiles and excitement on the faces of those who enjoy my cakes.

This journey has been slow going. I have made a few wedding cakes, more specialty cakes, and now I'm venturing out to learn how to make some other baked specialty items (namely French Macarons, which are testing my sanity!). I am mostly self taught in the area of decorating, but have taken a few classes and had a lot of help initially from a good friend (thanks Cheryl!).  I am ready now to get moving a little faster.

This blog will also serve as portfolio of sorts, as I will be posting photos...probably more frequently than these long-winded, sometimes mushy, reflections!

Thanks for joining me on this ride! Let's see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. hip hip hooray! very nice, my friend. on the topic of cake, after i saw you last, i wondered about cake. i mean, people say you make a great cake, and here i am, a non-caker, possibly because i've eaten only not-so-great cakes! so my wish for 2012 is to eat at least one of your cakes, so i can know for once and for all if a good cake is all i needed to be a believer. :)

    much love,
    sarah

    ReplyDelete