Over the last week, I have made two pies-- one dessert and one savory. I made an apple pie last week. I was prepared to take photos of it and post it, and I did take photos. However at the end, I forgot to put pieces of butter in the pie before putting the top crust on. So, I had to stuff the butter pieces in the vent holes, which resulted in a very funny looking pie! It was DELICIOUS all the same and enjoyed by friends.
Tonight I made a veggie pie. My sister first made this pie for me in April of 2000...I remember, because she was living in Georgia at the time, and I was there for Easter. I remember thinking it was wonderful. So after many years of asking her for the recipe and finally getting if from her in the last year, I made the pie. I used the crust recipe from the apple pie (Cooks Illustrated recipe; it is fabulous! It calls for vodka, and makes the crust absolutely amazing! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/11/cooks-illustrated-foolproof-pie-dough-recipe.html). I did my best to follow the recipe for the contents of the pie, but I always modify savory recipes, as I did tonight. The pie contained -- potatoes, red onions, carrots, broccoli, chantrelle mushrooms, and a delicious creamy sauce, made of butter, flour, and cream (not low fat at all!). My friends loved it! It was really good. I will definitely make it again.I will be back Friday to tell the tell of the vanilla scented cake w/ white chocolate frosting. Pictures of the cake will be up as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment