When I was a kid, I did not like cake. Actually, I did not like most sweets...candy, cake, ice cream, etc. Most of my childhood birthday parties included cake, and I was the only one who didn't eat any. Yes, I was the weird kid that didn't like cake, but that all seemed to change as an adult.
I really like cake, but I love baking cake! Mixing the ingredients, the smell of the cake in the oven, frosting and decorating it...it is all a process that in the end, results in a product that most people love to eat. It is satisfying to watch other people eat my cake, which is another reason I enjoy baking.
The therapy comes in here...I spend a lot of time thinking about things I can not control, often worrying about them. I often pray for patience; and to my dismay, patience is not just given to someone, you have to LEARN how to be patient. Tonight I realized that the process of baking is my learning moment. I mix several ingredients together, hoping that in the end they will work together to make the desired finished product. I put it in the oven, and wait...sometimes for a long time. And during that time of waiting, I realize I don't have any control over what may happen during this process. I just have to be patient and wait. If only I can remember this lesson in my everyday life...maybe if the result was cake every time, it would be easier to remember!
No comments:
Post a Comment